MANUAL LYMPHATIC DRAINAGE/ POST OPERATIVE MASSAGE
Gentle massage intended to encourage the natural drainage of the lymph which carries waste product away from the tissues and back towards the heart. MLD is becoming widely recognized in the US. as a treatment for many pathologies including post-surgical / liposuction / BBL surgeries, traumatic edema (e.g., sports injuries), migraine headaches, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia. Lymph massage is used to promote relaxation and for detoxification of the skin and superficial fascia.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What happens to the lymph system after surgery? Cosmetic surgeries all produce swelling to some extent because it is part of the body’s normal healing process. Some cosmetic surgeries, such as liposuction procedures, Brazilian Butt Lifts ‘BBL” and tummy tucks, disrupt the natural pathways taken by the lymphatic system because of the location of the surgery.
- What is post op lymphatic massage? Lymphatic Drainage Massage (LDM) is a specialized massage technique recommended post surgery to accelerate the recovery period. During a surgical procedure, the lymphatic fluids build up and can pool which results in swelling making the massage necessary for better results.
- How lymph therapy is performed & versus regular massage? The post cosmetic surgery lymphatic massage is usually performed on the massage table with the client undressed to their comfort level, always modestly draped. However, if lying down cannot be achieved, we can accommodate for each client per session. The technique itself manually helps accelerate lymph flow and is very gentle, steady and rhythmic, wave-like strokes are used to open and then shut the lymphatics, leaving little time for that lymph to get sucked down along the vessel, versus regular massage therapy focuses and targets the muscle structure of the body.
- How will I feel after a lymphatic massage? You will feel release of the pressure and tension from the nerves. It leaves a soothing effect of mind and body. You may become thirsty, so continue hydration throughout your journey.
- When to schedule a lymphatic massage? Every person is different. It’s recommended that patients who underwent surgeries like liposuction or tummy tucks, schedule their first Lymphatic massage one or two days after surgery.
- How often should you get a lymphatic drainage massage after surgery? The first week we suggested one session daily or every other day, as it helps significantly with the inflammation and the elimination of fluids. The second week, every other day, follow by one per week or every other week for the next 3 months. Every client may vary .
- Is lymphatic massages painful after liposuction? Performed properly it is not painful. The Vodder Technique is the most respected method of Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) over the world. It is NOT traditional massage.
- How lymphatic drainage can help after surgery? This specialized form of massage is helps move waste fluids away from the damaged area, by reducing post-surgical swelling and fibrosis (scar tissue formation, hardening), also decrease recovery time and improve results.
*Every client is different , we recommend clients to set up an introductory consultation and appointment in order to get the best result for after care .